This blog is a place for me to share what I've learned about TESOL, and specifically what I've learned about using computers and technology in language learning. I will use this blog as a space to share ideas, projects, and resources for language learners and language teachers.



Friday, June 13, 2008

Skype

Skype is a great tool for communication and interaction with others. It's text, audio, and video chat options allow people from all around the world to share information and conversations in real time. This means that if you are in the USA, and you want to talk with your friend in New Zealand, you can chat for as long as you want. The best part about Skype is that it is FREE!

I first heard about Skype when I was studying abroad. Many of the other exchange students and Americans living abroad in New Zealand were using Skype as an alternative to international calling cards because the cost to call home for an extended period of time was quite pricey. The first time I actually used Skype was during an online conference chat with my CALL Online class at St. Michael's College.

Skype is a great way to connect with others around the world for language learning purposes too. Teachers can set up voice chats, or video conferences for groups of students to communicate across distances. Students can also use Skype to practice speaking and listening with conversation partners who may live in another area. In this way, Skype can provide language practice, and exchange of cultural information and experience.

No comments: